Pages

Wednesday 25 April 2012

Inspired by Inspirations

I wanted to tell you today about how inspired I was yesterday reading a blog by CatkinJane.  Her blog is here.

She was saying how she looks at the colours in nature that have been put together naturally for inspiration on colour palettes.

I had never though of doing this, but think it could really help me out of a bit of a hang-up I have got myself into!  You see colours have never been a particular strong point of mine.  Or rather putting colours together is what I should say to be exact.  As a child I remember wearing a colour scheme that I thought looked great but that would have looked good only in the 60's.  I would wander back upstairs to change, but was never quite sure why that khaki skirt didn't go with that black and green striped top and red socks.

Fast forward several years and I so often find myself mentally transported back to being a 7 year old child wondering if that shade of pink fabric clashes with that slightly darker shade of pink fabric!  And don't get me started on 'tones'!!  (although I am getting better!!)

So thank you CatkinJane for helping me look at colours in a slightly different way!  Do have a read of her blog for yourself.

I found these photos that we took a couple of years ago when we visited Eaton Hall near Chester.

These have given me some inspiration and might consider putting these colours together for my next bunting design.  I might call  the range 'Inspired by Nature'.


Doesn't the orange look lovely against the chocolate red leaves?


Look at the lovely red wine and cream colour of this aquilegia.


I would never have put lilac and yellow together, but who am I to argue?


Not a lot of colours here, but it's my favourite picture!  But maybe I will put purply pink and greens together!

2 comments:

  1. this is a really interesting subject - i love colour, and i think you're right, some of the combinations found in nature do challenge preconceptions about what 'goes'.

    If you do an internet search for 'colour palette generators' you'll find sites that will create a lovely palette from the colours in any image - i found a great gadget the other day that does this but i've lost the web address! (i'll post a link back here if i find it again :) )

    I have emailed you through your website with some exciting news btw x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, that web address sounds interesting! If you find the link, please give me a shout!! Off to have a look at the email now!!!

    ReplyDelete